March 27, 2011

Bruce Beyer: You cannot make bargains with those who make war. War Resister, Patrick Hart, returns to a stiff prison sentence in USA.


This isn't about Bruce, It's about his friend, Patrick Hart. Bruce, speaking from experience makes an important observation.

And it's about us. We need to support this man who is another victim of the Obama war policies. Now we know how Obama plans to deal with the brave men and women who refused to continue to carry out Bush's (and now Obama's) immoral, inhumane and illegal war policies in Iraq and Afghanistan. He is temporariy being held in a prison in Kentucky while they decide which Federal Prison he will spend the next couple of years. Lets write him and let him know we support his choices.

His current (very temporary) address is:
Patrick Brendan Hart
c/o Christian County Jail
410 W 7th St.
Hopkinsville, KY 42240

See the 2006 Artvoice Story about him, Brave Hart.

On March 27th, 2011 Bruce Beyer wrote the following :
“I posted this because I’ve been thinking about my friend and Iraq war resister Patrick Hart. Pat was sentenced last week to 25 months in prison for his refusal to deploy to Iraq. After five years in exile, Patrick voluntarily returned to the US. He came back quietly in hopes of avoiding hard time yet he has received the longest prison sentence of all IWOT resisters. I don’t know if there is a lesson to be drawn from this but I am reminded of a Bob Marley son, ‘Get up, Stand up, Stand up for your rights!’ Patrick is in there for us, we need to be out here for Patrick. FREE PATRICK HART! FREE BRADLEY MANNING!


October 20, 1977 (l to r) former US Attorney General Ramsey Clark, Vietnam era draft resister Bruce Beyer, for Marine Corps. POW Col. Edson Miller . After 7 1/2 years in exile, I voluntarily returned to the US and surrendered to US authorities. It took months of planning, fund raising, and organizing to make this day possible. Most of the people walking with us were Vietnam veterans. Hundreds of people wrote letters in my support and US District Court Judge John Curtin reduced my sentence from three years to thirty days. In the months preceding my return, my father tried to convince me to return quietly with contrition. He hired an attorney who said he could "work a deal, if I just kept my mouth shut". You Cannot make bargains with those who make war.

No comments: