August 20, 2009

Tribute Poem: FREE SPIRITS WILL ALWAYS ESCAPE

I was looking through the June issue of the Veterans For Peace newsletter. I was looking for a report by VFP Executive Director, Michael T. McPhearson, when I came across this poem and realized that I should have posted it when I first read it.

FREE SPIRITS WILL ALWAYS ESCAPE

Its me, Lindy, the one who helped you peck your way
From the cell so many years ago.
I have come, so you may take flight again.
I was your co-conspirator then and I call you now,
My hummingbird, my jailbird, my escapee.
Hover about in the garden. Check the flowers.
Peer in the window from time to time,
Then flit on, as you will.
I’m here to remove our secret “bar of soap.”
Here’s my hand, Brother, step up.
Wiggle through the hole to freedom.
I have come for you.
When the guards turn their backs,
I’ll give you the signal, and once you’re gone,
I’ll replace the bar to mask your retreat.
Free Spirits will always escape

This poetic tribute to Lindy Blake, one of the Presidio 27
mutineers, was written by his friend and comrade Randy
Rowland (who, along with Keith Mather, told the story of
the Presidio 27 in Sir! No Sir!). Lindy died recently at his
home in Canada, where he has lived since escaping the
Presidio stockade in 1968.

No comments: